Book title: Tiger Boots; Author: Joe O’Brien.
1. Summary: Danny is an amazing footballer but one day his Dad comes home looking upset. Danny asks him what’s up and it turns out his Dad’s best friend’s daughter, Clara, has been diagnosed with cancer. After that, Mick and Danny are determined to raise money to help with her operation.
2. Plot: Clara is captain of her GAA team in Boston. As the GAA is like one big family and everyone sticks together, Mick and Danny raise funds for Clara by bag-packing and by running a football marathon in school. Mick and Danny end up going to Boston to visit Clara and her friends and family. The book is about their stories.
3. Characters: Danny, Mick, Splinter, Jimmy, Jonathan, Sarah, Larry, Tommy Dempsey, Deco, Todd, Sean Dempsey, Trinity, Clara
4. What I think: I think this is an enjoyable book for GAA lovers with Danny’s love for football and Mick’s passion for coaching. It is a great book with every chapter ending on a cliffhanger.
5. Parts I liked: I liked Danny’s rivalry with other teams and especially liked the part where Danny was at the fair and there was a football game. Barnfield and Littlestown players were there challenging each other. Danny has to make a shot but walks away but Trinity brings him back because she knows he is dying to make the shot and sure enough he makes the shot on his first go.
6. Parts I disliked: There are no parts of the book I disliked.
7. Suitability: This book is suitable for 8 to 12 year olds, boys and girls.
8. Rating: I rate this book as 9 out of 10
By Owen, 6th Class, Croagh NS, Co. Limerick
“Tiger Boots” by Joe O’Brien is published by O’Brien Press and is now available to purchase for €8.99
Disclaimer: This book was provided by the publisher, O’Brien Press, free of charge to Seomra Ranga for the purposes of this review