Many thanks to Ciara Brennan (@PrimEdTeacher on Twitter) for compiling this great list of dates to keep in mind when doing lesson planning for the forthcoming school year. All of these dates give teachers great opportunities to celebrate special occasions in school and to see how they can be integrated into the curriculum for educational purposes.
- Grandparent’s Day, Sunday 8th September – http://grandparentsday.org/
- Roald Dahl Day, Friday 13th September – http://www.roalddahlday.info/
- International Day of Peace, Saturday 21st September – http://www.internationaldayofpeace.org/
- European Day of Languages, Thursday 26th September – http://edl.ecml.at
- Children’s Book Festival (Ireland), month of October – http://www.childrensbooksireland.ie/childrens-book-festival/
- World Animal Day, Friday 4th October – http://www.worldanimalday.org.uk/
- Referendum (32nd and 33rd Amendment), Friday 4th October – http://www.refcom.ie/en/
- World Teachers’ Day, Saturday 5th October – http://www.worldteachersday.org/map/
- World Space Week, 4th – 10th October – http://www.worldspaceweek.org/wsw/index.php
- Maths Week, 12th – 20th October – http://www.mathsweek.ie/
- World Food Day, Thursday 16th October – http://www.worldfooddayusa.org/
- Signs of Autumn Twitter Project – Check https://www.seomraranga.com/ to confirm dates.
- World Homeless Day October 10th – http://www.worldhomelessday.org/
- International Tongue Twister Day, Thursday 7th November.
- Science Week, 10th – 17th November – http://www.scienceweek.ie/
- Birthday of Walt Disney, 5th December.
- RDS Primary Science Fair, 9th– 11th January – http://www.rds.ie/primarysciencefair
- Martin Luther King Day, Monday 20th January.
- Australia Day, Sunday 26th January.
- Chinese New Year, Friday 31st January.
- Lá ‘Le Bríde – February 1st
- Storytelling Week (UK), 1st – 8th February – http://www.sfs.org.uk/national-storytelling-week
- 22. Engineer’s Week, February 9th – 15th – http://www.engineersweek.ie/
- Safer Internet Day, 11th February – http://www.saferinternetday.org
- Winter Olympics, 7th– 23rd February – http://www.olympic.org/sochi-2014-winter-olympics
- Seachtain na Gaeilge– 1 – 17 Márta – http://snag.ie/
- Pancake Tuesday, Tuesday 4th March.
- World Book Day, Thursday 6th March – http://www.worldbookday.com/
- National Tree Week, March but exact dates TBC – http://www.treecouncil.ie/activities.html
- International Women’s Day, Saturday 8th March – http://www.internationalwomensday.com/
- World Poetry Day, Friday 21st March – http://www.un.org/en/events/poetryday/
- Mothering Sunday, Sunday 30th March.
- Signs of Spring Twitter Project – Check https://www.seomraranga.com/ to confirm dates.
- Digital Art Week, April, dates TBC – http://www.digitalartweek.com/2013/
- Earth Day, Tuesday 22nd April – http://www.earthday.org/
- Europe Day, Friday 9th May – http://europa.eu/about-eu/basic-information/symbols/europe-day/index_en.htm
- Local Elections, late May but exact dates TBC.
- European Parliament Elections to be held between 22nd and 25th May – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014
- Father’s Day, Sunday 15th June.
- Start of FIFA World Cup, Thursday 12th June – http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/index.html
- Bike Week, June but exact dates TBC – http://www.bikeweek.ie/
Please let me know if any other special occasions have been omitted and I’ll up date the list.
Fantastic list. Well done Ciara!
One addition is World Homeless Day 10th October (excellent lessons from Focus Ireland for Senior Classes)
Also the above Grandparents Day is an American celebration I think. It is usually celebrated on 1st February in Ireland during Catholic Schools Week.
Hope this helps. 🙂
Thanks Kathleen. I’ve added in World Homeless Day and I’ll add in Catholic Schools Week and Grandparents Day when I get definitive dates.
The US ‘celebration’ date variation makes it a bit complicated to put together these lists alright! Thanks for the extra info!
thanks for compiling this Ciara. very useful!
Been compiling one for school too and I found that http://www.mash.ie also has some great dates for your calendar, some really quirky ones such as Pizza day which could be an interesting mini lesson