Thanks to all of the teachers and student teachers who entered our competition for a copy of “The Butterfly Heart” by Paula Leyden. Thanks also to both Paula herself and Walker Books, her publisher, for sponsoring the prizes. Some people found one or two of the questions tricky, so just to confirm, the answers were:
1. Zambia gained its independence from Britain in 1964.
2. The natural Wonder of the World located in Zambia is Victoria Falls.
3. There are nine books on the Shortlist for the CBI Children’s Book of the Year 2012.
4. One of the main characters in the book is named ifwafwa – it is a Bemba name for a Puffadder.
5. The author Paula Leyden lives in Kilkenny.
The draw for the prizewinners took place after the 5pm Thursday deadline using the Random website . The winners of the five books were:
1. Brendan, Scoil na Croise Naofa
2. Mary Kiernan, St. Ronan’s NS
3. Zara O’ Toole, St. Aidan’s Primary School
4. Stephen Hayes, St. Patrick’s NS
5. Peter Mc Cabe, St Columbanus NS
Many thanks to all who entered the competition and congratulations to all of the winners. I have already contacted you via email. Hopefully, we’ll have another competition soon.