Seomra Ranga

« | »

New Missal Mass Responses

Religion

Just last week, changes were introduced to the Catholic Mass texts, especially the congregational responses. The changes are designed to be more faithful to the original Latin texts on which the Missal is based. Some changes in wording are small, with different emphases in places. This resource is for teachers to help pupils learn the new responses and become aware of them.

(.pdf file 85.6KB)

Download File

Excerpts of the English translation of The Roman Missal © 2010, ICEL

My thanks to the Diocese of Kildare & Leighlin (www.kandle.ie) for permission to re-produce this resource on Seomra Ranga.

Veritas also has resources for teaching the new mass responses to pupils. Called “Come, Gather and Celebrate”, there is a teacher’s book, as well as pupil workbooks for first/second class, third/fourth class and fifth/sixth class.

Come, Gather and Celebrate

Maeve Mahon explains in this video about the changes to the Mass responses and the classroom resources that are now available to help pupils with the new responses.

Posted by on 18/09/2011.

Tags: , , ,

Categories: 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, 5th/6th, Religion

10 Responses

1. The only thing bugging me about these changes is the reversion to “for us MEN and for our salvation” I feel this is grossly and unashamedly sexist and has no place in our society. I will NOT teach this to the children in front of me and I WILL be explaining to them why I feel it is wrong. Jesus died for us all, not just men, so this has no place, in my view, in a modern catholic church. I think Jesus himself would be horrified at this exclusion of women.

by Elizabeth Mulry on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:38 pm

2. I believe we are all part of ‘mankind.’ According to the Book of Genesis, we women were taken from the side of man. So in that sense we are part of ‘man.’ With all due respect to you I hope you step back, theologically ponder, and above all be obedient to Holy Mother Church.
    Christ’s peace.

by Maureen on Oct 16, 2011 at 4:15 am

3. I’m part of mankind too and I’m a woman. Deeper theological meaning is probably that we were taken from man’s side, rather than being an entire new creation. Thus, we women are part of ‘mankind’ theologically, but also physically.

by Maureen on Oct 26, 2011 at 7:03 pm

4. Sexism? Seriously? In a church that doesn’t allow women to become priests? Maureen is bang on, and it’s evident that people in modern society don’t seem to read much past the words. Deeper theological meaning indeed, ‘MEN’ refers to the entirety of mankind.

Also, Jesus would not be horrified, that claim sounds inane, because, it is a reference to the entirety of mankind, and not literally just men.

I feel sorry for the children that you’re teaching, because that is a horrifically skewed view of the catholic faith and these reformed changes being made.

by Michael on Nov 27, 2011 at 9:54 pm

5. Yes, I totally agree, but it doesn’t say ‘mankind’, it says ‘ for us MEN’. This is not ‘mankind’, or ‘human beings’ or ‘sinners’ or any other inclusive term. This specifically says ‘ for us MEN’. I have calmed down somewhat since the last posting, but I’m still really angry and disappointed. However, I have to say I am heartened by how many priests just say ‘for us — and for our salvation’ leaving the people to fill in the missing word if they wish. There is still hope for the Catholic church when we can see sensitivity like this on the altar.

by Elizabeth Mulry on Dec 10, 2011 at 11:52 pm

6. Elizabeth – just because there are priests who refuse to say the words of the new mass properly (i.e. omitting any references to men or the masculine) doesn’t make them right. Seriously, if you want to find a faith that is willing to bend on their beliefs, I invite you to any one of the Protestant denominations.

by Robq on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm

7. Sorry to seem ignorant, but hasn’t the prayer always been “for us men and our salvation”? Also, I do remember my teacher telling me (3rd or 4th) that “The church likes to say men instead of mankind, but we mean everyone.”

by Conor on Dec 20, 2011 at 5:10 pm

8. The State should not be funding the teaching of dogma/liturgy in tax-payer funded classrooms. That would solve the ‘MEN’ problem at least in schools.

by Peter Lydon on Dec 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

9. it’s usually “for us and for our salvation” in our parish.

by Brid ui Mhaoluala on Dec 20, 2011 at 11:50 pm

10. Great resource. Thanks a mill for pages on new mass responses.

by Mark Healy on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:08 pm